b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Sunday, April 30, 2006

BIG ISLAND GRILL

The B.I.G. is a coffee shop style, plate lunch place in Kona. It's at 75-5702 Kuakini Hwy, just south of Henry street. It's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We went there twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. They have standard diner type food in addition to the typical plate lunch offerings. You'll notice there's also a dessert menu. I had absolutely no room for dessert, although after looking at it again, the B.I.G. Ice Cream Pie sure would be good right now.


This place is very popular, and many guidebooks recommend going during off hours. We were there early for dinner (around 5:30) and it was very crowded when we left, with people waiting inside and outside of the entrance. Pictured below are the beef stroganoff (one of the day's specials, meatloaf was the other), the chop steak and the tempura fish.




Portions here are BIG! I would have liked to compare portion sizes between this place and the Hawaiian Style Cafe, but we only had breakfast there. I had the tempura fish and it came with six pieces of fish. I could only finish half of it. My mom and sister ended up sharing the B.I.G. Saimin, which I did not get a picture of (sorry Mike, I know saimin is one of your favorites). But I can report that I had a taste and it was very good, and I'm not a big saimin fan.

My take: Service was good (food comes out quickly, refills are a little slow), Ambiance was good, Food was very good. Overall rating - 4 sumos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home