b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Sunday, May 07, 2006

HAPPI YU SUSHI

Happi Yu Sushi is located in Kona. It's in the Long's Drug shopping center, on Palani Road, just south of the 19 Highway. It's takeout only. It is open Mon-Thu (9-3), Fri-Sat (9-4) and Sun (10-3). We went here to pick up an early dinner to eat on our way to Mauna Kea. We actually got there after they had closed (around 3:20), but the owner was really nice and took our order. It must have been the hungry look on our faces.



We ordered California Roll ($4/6pcs), Hawaiian Roll ($4/6pcs), Salmon Skin Hand Roll ($4/1pc), Inari ($3/4 pcs), and Spam musubi ($1.50, I think). I left a nice tip since she stayed open for us, and it was after 3:40 by the time she was finished - it was all made to order. My brother-in-law ran over to L&L while we were waiting 'cause he had to have his katsu curry fix. I make it a point to never go to L&L when I'm in Hawaii. It's like having McDonald's, Tommy's, The Hat and Lucky Boy's on the same street and picking McDonald's. By the way, L&L screwed up his order, but that's another story...


I didn't get a picture of the sushi since we pretty much ate it in the car on the way to Mauna Kea. I thought everything was really good, but I was starving. She put a lot of care into the preparation. For example, the spam was placed in the middle (not on top - the lazy way) of the musubi, and sprinkled with furikake. I wish I had stopped here again to get some sushi to take on the plane ride home.

My take: Service was very good (yeah, it's takeout but we did get there 20 minutes after closing), Ambiance n/a, Food was very good. Overall rating - 3.5 sumos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home