b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Thursday, November 23, 2006

MANAGO HOTEL - Captain Cook, HI

We stopped at the Manago Hotel on the way back from visiting Hilo and Volcano National Park. It is written up in all of the guidebooks, for good reason. Even if the food wasn't an attraction, the hotel itself is worth a look.
It was started in the early 1900's and has a very unique, old-style character. It reminds me of the old Far East Cafe in L.A. and a low-budget version of the Fujiya Hotel in Japan.

Their dining room is open to all, in addition to hotel guests. Their signature dish is the pork chops, and all dinners come with three sides, served family style.



I believe the sides change periodically. The night we went, the sides were cooked cabbage, black beans and potato salad.

I think we all got the pork chops, except for my nephew, who tried the mahi-mahi. My feeling is, if the place specializes in that wonderful, magical animal, the pig, then that's what I'm gonna get.

I wasn't disappointed. Meaty, flavorful, good-sized, with just enough fat on the edge. Mmmm, pork chops. Overall rating - 3.5 sumos



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home