b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Sunday, April 22, 2007

CHI-CHAN - Hiroshima, Japan

Okonomiyaki is kind of like chop suey on a crepe. It's a common working-class style dish and you can find restaurants where you can either cook it yourself, or where it's made to order. This restaurant is located in Hiroshima's Okonomi-mura, 3-3 Nakamachi, which consists of two floors of stalls selling the same thing, okonomiyaki.

I ordered the special, which included a mix of cabbage, noodles, bean sprouts, shrimp and squid, topped with a fried egg. I had thought that the dished was topped with a flourish of mayo, which would have made it better, but at this place, the only optional topping was a brown sauce, which was kind of like a watery tonkatsu sauce.


It cost 1050 yen, or about $9, certainly one of the cheapest meals I had in Japan. In the picture above, I've already eaten one-quarter, with one-quarter on my plate and another half still on the grill. It was a lot of food, but it wasn't to my taste. I'm not a big bean sprouts fan. I would probably not try this again, but am now able to check this dish off on my list of dishes to try.

Overall rating - 2 sumos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home