b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Monday, May 01, 2006

Fusia - Sushi Lunch Buffet

Friday, April 28 2006 Eric and I decided to check out Fusia, a Japanese restaurant downtown that has a sushi buffet at lunch time. I know, a sushi buffet could be a risky proposition, but for $9.95 we didn't think it would be risking much. Cost us $6.00 to park though because everyone goes downtown for lunch on Friday, even a rainy Friday. Fusia is located at 15th and Blake.


You walk in and the sushi is arranged in neat piles, with the green salad, edamame and wasabi first and all the really good stuff at the end. After ordering tea we started right in. I had it in my mind to try one of each kind off roll but I don’t recommend doing that. Some of the roll ideas were not so inspired, like the gyoza roll. Why would you put gyoza in a roll, and why would I try a piece of it? I supposed to some it is a good idea but save your stomach for the other stuff.


Spicy tuna and Philadelphia rolls

Fusia Chef with Sushi and sushi rolls, to the right you see the seaweed and calamari rolls.

Two nice young chefs were accommodating, let you know what everything was and posed for photos; I told them we were food writers. Ha!

They do a nice job with the sushi – nothing fancy but quite fresh and tasty.


Eric – Round One


Dawn – Round one

My favorite of the rolls was the salmon skin, shown above next to the edamame, and the shrimp tempura roll concoction shown at the top that had shrimp tempura, with hot sauce and mayonnaise, broiled. The shrimp tempura rolls were good too. The striped sea bass sushi was really good. There was one roll, shown above next to the ginger, that wasn’t good at all. It tasted like it was dipped in pancake batter, and too much of it at that.


Tempura, from the menu


Shrimp tempura rolls

The atmosphere was nice, it wasn’t crowded, just the hard-core sushi fan types who knew what they were doing and were getting their $9.95 worth. People were going up 5, 6 times. If I had any complaint it was that they should have some kind of dessert, even just fresh fruit. All that sushi gorging gives one a sweet tooth.

Overall, well worth the money. One roll at some restaurants can set you back $9.95, so it is a good value. I would be interested in checking it out some time at Happy Hour, and having some sake.

Overall Rating: Two and a half sumos


1 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Mike said...

wow, tough review Dawn! Only 2.5 sumos! Hmmm. All the pix looked great though. I need to work less so I can go eat out more! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home