b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Crab House
Second Floor, West Side Of Pier 39 (Cross Street: near the Embarcadero)
San Francisco, CA 94133View Map
(415) 434-2722

Well it's been a busy two weeks. Been eating out a lot lately meeting friends. I had a friend come in from Denver for the weekend. She's been craving seafood since she's landlocked, so we decided to go to this place she loved. The weather was perfect for this restaurant. We got there about 4:00 pm on a sunday afternoon. There was no wait which was great. Looking at the billboards, this place was rated as one of the best crab restaurants in the city. I had to see this for myself. The view is really great at this restaurant so if you're looking for a good date restaurant (not a first date place) this is a place to go. When our appetizers came out the sun was setting over the golden gate bridge. Forgot to get a picture. I was too busy eating!


So we started off with drinks, a mojito, spicy bloody mary, and a riesling. Their mojitos are really good. We started off with a salad, crab chowder, garlic bread, a plate of mussels and a plate of their garlic dungeoness crabs. Just a word of warning. It says that it serves 4 but that's not 4 hearty eaters like us happy sumos. Plus everything's a la carte at this restaurant.


The salad was a ceasar salad with romaine lettuce hearts. Talk about low maintenance salad. But it was pretty good.

The soup was a little bland, but a had a big chunk of crab meat on top. Personally I thought it was to make up for the lack of taste.

I don't like mussels but my wife said they were good.


Then the main course came out, the crabs. This is when my 10 month old daughter decided to start throwing a fit. I ate about 3 legs when she started whining. So while my wife ate. By the time I started eating more than 2/3 of the plate was gone. =( Even though the crab was deep friend in a garlic sauce, you didn't taste much of it in the crab meat. So the shell was tasty but not the meat. =) But I was still hungry so I ordered another whole crab which I polished off myself.

So in the end, when the bill came, for 5 adults and 1 child, it came out to $315. THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN DOLLARS! Can you believe that? I mean the view was nice, but not THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN DOLLARS! Save yourself $200 and go to Costco and buy yourself some king crab legs. Sure it's not as sweet as the dungeoness but it'll definitely fill you up. I prefer king crab to snow crab or dungeoness any day of the week.


So my recommendation: 1 out of 4 sumos

1 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Damn Mike, that was a big tray of mussels!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home