b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Thursday, November 23, 2006

FAR EAST CAFE (now Chop Suey Cafe) - Los Angeles

The Far East Cafe is an institution for any Japanese-American who lived in LA from the 30's and after WWII, up until the place closed due to damage after the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Birthdays, weddings, funerals, any occasion to eat the uniquely Chinese food tailored for the Japanese palate. Almond Duck, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Hom Yu were always part of our order. I remember many occasions as a kid eating there with the extended family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins), sometimes getting to eat upstairs in the balcony which I thought was particularly cool.

And when I worked at Hayashi Automotive on 8th and Central, we would often make a food run on Friday nights to pickup our favorites to take home. Part of this was necessity, as even way back in 1983, it was impossible to get parking in front of the restaurant.

After the '94 quake, the building was red-tagged. Many stories developed about how the restaurant was going to be reopened, either by the original family, or some new owner who was going to keep the old recipes. Even after I moved to Denver, I would google "Far EastCafe" in the hope that I would find out that it was open and could revisit the place on my trips back to LA.

Well, 12 years later, it's finally reopened as the Chop Suey Cafe & Lounge. Hmm, "& Lounge" should have been my first warning. I was so excited about it, I told my family and friends to check it out and give me a review. I carved out time during my trip home at Xmas to go there.


My cousin was the first to visit. I anxiously awaited his email report. His first two words, "DON'T BOTHER!" I felt sick. What a damn shame. As I trust his sense of taste, I became the town crier and notified everyone I know. But, my friend's father wanted to go there for his birthday. Even after he told him about my cousin's experience.

So, the second opinion? "This place SUCKS!" It's funny that both my cousin and my friend's son said that they'd eat at Panda Express before they would ever eat here again...and believe me, that's the bottom of the barrel. So, there you have it, from two trusted guest reviewers. Do not eat here, period.

Overall rating - .5 a sumo, because if I gave it a no sumo rating, readers may think I forgot to rate it.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home