b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Friday, July 27, 2007

AJI NO MIYAGAWA - Tokyo

This restaurant is located in the basement of the Daimaru department store, next to the Tokyo train station. We came here for lunch because it was near the office. There were a ton of restaurants here, so we just picked one and went inside.

As you can see from the picture, the menu was all Japanese. So we had to go to Plan B - point at the plastic food models in the front display case.



This being my second meal in Japan, I had to get the tempura lunch. It was damn good. The tempura batter was very light, almost ethereal. This is how all tempura should be. The bowl in the upper right of the photo below was chawanmushi, or egg custard. Now this was another first for me. I didn't realize that this was a savory dish, not a sweet custard. Thinking it was, I saved it for last. The custard is opaque, and has bits of meat, seafood and whatnot suspended in the custard. I bit into something that had an extremely fishy taste - tasted like Long Beach. I think it may have been an eyeball. I'll never know, and that's probably a good thing.


Overall rating - 3.5 sumos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home