b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Friday, July 27, 2007

KATSU TOKI SUSHI DAI - Tokyo

This is not the same Sushi Dai restaurant that is inside the Tsukiji fish market. This restaurant, however, is very close to Tsukiji. I'm hoping that someone who reads this can identify the exact location for me. We were taken here by a coworker who works at our Tokyo office, and I have no idea where we were, other than it was close to the market.

This was the first sushi I tried, on my first trip to Japan. So we went all out. We got the omakase, or Chef's choice. I tried stuff I never order, like Uni (Sea Urchin). I figured if it didn't taste good here, I'll never order it anywhere else. Our first dish were these tiny, whole shrimps. They tasted very clean, "of the sea" as they say.

The deal here was that you could get another piece of something you really liked, or you could get the uni. I tried the uni, and I was underwhelmed. Given the cost, I wouldn't try it again unless I find myself back in Japan.

We had a piece of tuna, that the chef very barely seared with a blowtorch. It was the best piece of tuna I've ever had, ever. At this point, in all my eating experiences, it may have been the single tastiest piece of food I have ever eaten. Yeah, it was that good.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much this meal cost. We had just flown into Tokyo the night before, and had gone into the office the next day and did not get a chance to get to an ATM. Being typical tourists, we assumed that we could pay with a credit card. Not bloody likely. So our Tokyo coworker ended up paying.

Overall rating - 4.5 Sumos, near perfection.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home