b Happy Sumo Food Journal

Saturday, July 28, 2007

OMEN - Kyoto

This restaurant was recommended by my guidebook for its vegetable udon. It's located right off Shijo-dori in central Kyoto, on Gokomachi. It's amazing that right off this busy street, you step into another world, like you've just walked into a country inn.


They did not have an english menu, and luckily for me, there was a sole employee would could speak english, which was light years more advanced than my japanese.

I used to love udon as a kid, but haven't eaten it in years. Here they serve it deconstructed, you take the udon noodles and dip them in the sauce, accompanied by vegetables. It was good, for udon, but it was just udon, you know? A bit bland.

I knew that wasn't going to fill me up, so I ordered tempura also. I thought it would be a side dish, but it cost the same as a regular meal. The tempura was very good. I think each dish was about $11, so the total bill was $22.

Overall rating - 3 sumos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home